County Durham and Darlington FRS
Dennis Rapier / Carmichael
New in 1992 to Darlington and one of eight identical vehicles
Merioneth Fire Service
First registered in July 1966, this appliance wound its way around the narrow lanes of Merionethshire in North Wales. Due to the double cab, the gearbox is not near to the driver. This means a very long kink in the gear lever is needed to reach four foot behind the driver’s position. When new recruits were being taught to drive the sometimes tempremantal vehicle, a crafty rear seta passenger could gently put their foot on the gear lever and prevent the driver selecting a gear!
Auxiliary Fire Service
This Yellow Goddess was used in Northern Ireland, most recently in the early 2000s during firefighter strikes. The army were concerned that the vehicles would be attacked and so they were fitted with guards over the windows and locker handles were removed. The most obvious change was that there were painted yellow to distinguish them from other green military vehicles.
Land Rover Defender
The vehicle was used as a light strike vehicle with designation Fire 7. It often supported larger fire appliance at fires and road accidents. When adopted by Alderney Fire Brigade its callsign changed to Red 7. It was fitted with a 7m ladder. A hosereel that was originally fitted to the front didn’t help handling characterists and so was removed. When operational, it spent one week on and one week off frontline duties, alternating with a 6-wheel Range Rover.
ex-London Fire Brigade
Dennis Type N
The open-top appliance has two seats at the front and wooden planks down the side for firemen to sit on as the keep hold of the ladder. A traditional bell is mounted at the front as well as the hole to enter the cranking handle to start it.
New in 1916, this appliance has quite some history behind it! It started life with London Fire Brigade in 1916 and was retired in 1932. It then became the factory fire engine for Joseph Crosfield and Sons Limited in Warrington. In 1955 they decided to donate it to Imperial College London for educational purposes. Four brave students drove the temperamental appliance some 200 miles from Warrington to London at speeds of up to 35 mph! It remains with Imperial College today.
Some of its TV and film appearances include Blue Peter in 1982 and Downton Abbey in 2014.Share this with | Follow us on
Edinburgh Fire Museum on Lauriston Place – with visions of yesteryear. Construction of the building as a fire station was completed in June 1900 at a cost of £43,000. Accommodation for the firemaster was included, as well as rooms for 30 firemen and their families. There was also workshops, stables (for horse-drawn appliances), laundry and (later) a control room. The museum has used the main bays since 1988. As of 2016, the building’s future is in doubt as the fire service look to move out and sell it. This would end over 100 years of fire appliances being based in the bays.Share this with | Follow us on