A plaque commemorating a previous site of the London Salvage Corps. The text reads ‘On this site stood the headquarters of the London Salvage Corps 1907 to 1960’.
A wider look at the location of the plaque. It is above the entrance to a Japanese restaurant on Watling Street in The City area of London. The original building was demolished and replaced with this one.
822 DGB Glasgow Salvage Corps operated this Bedford TK. The doors into the rear cab fold open and Glasgow’s crest is shown on the front doors. On the front are three ‘fire’ signs as well as a blue flashing light and an emergency warning bell. It was one of only 17 vehicles that Glasgow had during its 111 years of existence.
JYE 995N An example of one of London’s Salvage Corps Mercedes vans. This is marked as a damage control unit. Sliding doors on each side allow access to the rear part of the cab, you then step through to the front section to drive it. They also used sister vehicle JYE 996N. Both were sold to the Singapore Fire Brigade in 1979 where they continued their frontline service until 1992.